Saturday, June 7, 2008

To Hells Canyon and Back

So plans were made last night for me to meet up with the rest of the crew at the campground around 8:30 in the morning. However the river between Idaho and Washington is also the separation between Pacific Time and Mountain Time. I assumed since (most) everyone was from the Pacific Time Zone, I'd go at that time. Well everyone moved early that morning and there were only a few folks behind and luckily knew that I was coming.

We rolled down to Asotin, WA for a great breakfast. Man, that was some of the best French Toast I had in a long time! There were four of us at this point that were getting ready to roll. Two Tigers, a Wee Strom (650 V-Strom), and a BMW GS. The other Tiger piloted by Clint, the Wee by Tim and the GS by "Fisherman" (handle from ADVRider..I can't remember his real name..ugh!).

We were heading to Joseph, OR and then into Hells Canyon. Little did I know the rest of the crew was planning on camping down in the bottom of the canyon. Anyway, I got to hit up a section of road that I originally wanted to see; Hells Canyon Scenic Byway. It did not disappoint!




This road snaked along the hillside and dropped down into a valley and then climbed back up the other side right into Oregon.






After we rolled out of the canyon it was a straight shot (for the most part) into Enterprise and then a few more miles over to Joseph, the boom town!


There were a lot of riders here for this event. Everyone converged on this tiny little eatery with big portions. I got a sandwich and I think it was the biggest thing I had ever seen.




After lunch, I headed on into Hells Canyon and the weather kind of turned on us. It first started as rain and then eventually turned to snow. Nothing was sticking but if it's snowing, that means it's cold and cold could mean ice. Thankfully, no ice was on the roads, but there were slick in places.

After getting to the turn scenic overview of the canyon (obscured by clouds...nothing to see here, move along), I decided it was time for me to depart back to Clarkston. It was very cold and the heated jacket was pumping as much heat as it could. I took the time to put what little gear I took with me for the day trip and headed on out.

So I winded back the way I came and enjoyed running the canyon a second time and got to see some of the sights I didn't see before. Such an amazing area.


So that was today. Nothing too exciting but nice to be around some really friendly riders. Hopefully some day some of those guys swing by PA for a visit.

Today's Pics


Ninja rider says: "Ninjas don't like the cold"

Tomorrow: Dillon, Montana via the Lolo Pass and Big Hole!

No comments: