Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Extended Stay

Woke up to snow on vehicles this morning. I knew it was going to be a cold one. So I hopped in the shower and did a mental inventory of what I was going to wear to fight the first 3 and half hours of cold on my way to Lander. Got dressed and did a final check on the Weather Channel on temps for Jackson, Pinedale, and some other really tiny towns along the way. All cold (low 30s with high winds and wind chills at or below 20°F) forecasting chance of snow.

I don't know what made me think about it, but Craig sent me some links to the Wyoming Department of Transportation road conditions website.

Here's what I found out on my route for today.


Things to the south weren't much better. Maybe a braver soul would venture out into that, but I decided I was staying put. The bad thing about that area is that if I had gotten there, I would've had a really hard decision to make. Try to push on to Lander with slippery (icy?) roads with a high crosswind or try and turn around and cover 120 to 140 miles to try and get fuel/shelter. That would have seriously been pushing the limits of fuel consumption, not to mention the temps with 20 mph winds.

So prudence and safety took precedence today. While it doesn't get me home when I had expected, I'm still not in dire straights of having to get home via interstate.

1 comment:

crazycat9 said...

PM: It could be worse - you could be at work. Tough break about the weather, but having your trip lengthened by a day isn't exactly all bad. btw, I'm really enjoying reading your blog and checking out all of the pictures - you're doing a great job with that. And not to overstate the obvious, but my advice would be to enjoy every second of this trip - you'll never forget it.
Bill Capone