Sunday, June 8, 2008

River Through Time

Well, after a damp and cold day yesterday, I made use of the jacuzzi last night. That felt really good! So mostly rested and refreshed, I walked outside and was greeted with a beautiful blue sky and slightly warm air. However, upon looking down the road where I was going to be, it looked like it may rain and be just as cold if not colder.

Loaded up, aired the tires back up and hit the road on route 12 out of Idaho. I was mistaken when I believed the time changed when crossing into Idaho. It actually didn't happen until I got into Montana. Huh, who knew!? (Obviously not me).

Anyway, spent most of my morning looking at the amazing Clearview River. Wouldn't you know it, another scenic byway. I think I've hit most of these by pure accident. This was the Northwest Passage.




As you can see, I was right down by the river the entire time. All 200 some miles of it. As I got closer to Montana and approaching the Lolo pass it was just twisting around. Nothing too sharp, lots of sweepers and gentle enough to keep up a relatively good "pace".




As I approached Lolo Pass, I started climbing pretty good. I also started getting pretty chilly. By the time I got to the top, my feet were fairly cold and I just walked around some until I could start feeling them again. But you didn't want to stand outside too long. If I had to guess, it was probably in the high 30s at the top.

After that, I dropped down into Montana and into the little town of Lolo and hooked up with route 93. I sort of felt at home. The route I was about to embark on for the rest of the day was a rehash of my very first trip via motorcycle. It was amazing what I still remembered from that trip.

(Hey guys from Cresson, this stuff ring a bell?)

But while some of the sights had stayed the same, my ride through here looked a lot different than it did in early August of 2004. I remember this area being very hot that day. Today, it was 62, but snowing up on the range that was on the right.


A lot of this post is for the guys I ride with every summer. They probably remember some of this route and riding through Big Hole and down on into Dillon, Montana on gas fumes. A lot of what I did on this day was in dedication to that trip. Plus I just loved this area.

So I started rolling up to Chief Joseph Pass. Boy did it look a lot different. Take a look at the rest area at the top. I remember putting on sunscreen the last time I was here. I don't think I'll need it now.



Here you go..a little before and after

(2004)


(2008)

For those that know the story of my watch and why it looks like some hit it with a hammer, well, this is where that incident happened. I'm not sure if this is the spot it fell off or not, only Kenny knows that one for sure, but I guesstimated this was where it happened.

(I was thinking of you Kenny rolling through here and had a good laugh about that whole thing)

I stopped in this time at the Big Hole National Battlefield and checked it out (plus got my passport stamped). Pretty small place but some interesting info inside.

(The battlefield).

I rolled on out and the scenery was pretty much everything I remembered it to be. Except instead of everything looking golden and brown, now things were white and green.


Once again, I remembered a few places along the way. I think it's pretty funny since a lot of the area looks pretty nondescript. Sure, it's beautiful but, there aren't too many obvious landmarks.

But hey, here's another before & after!

(2004)


(2008)

Here's the first time I was here. I just a little bit of stuff with me then.


It was a lot of fun coming back here. Listening to tunes and reflecting back on that day through there was a really nice time. All you guys were with me as I rolled alone through that section.




One last memory to relive. That was Dillon. So you can't recreate the experience without staying in the same place. So here I am in the Comfort Inn just off I-15 that we all stayed at that night.

Tomorrow, first ride through Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Park. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Today's Pics

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In honor of the great 2004 trip, Paul will be doing the following this week:

* sleeping on a cot
* looking for spare Vulcan parts on top of the Beartooth Pass
* calling ahead to Gillette, WY to reserve a Looney Tunes rug to use as a blanket