Thursday, June 5, 2008

Catch Up and Among the Giants

Last night the motel's wireless wasn't working real well so I didn't get to post. Which is OK because I needed a down night. I've gotten into these routines where as soon as I get there everything becomes a checklist.


  • Unload

  • Break out laptop and connect

  • Download images from cameras

  • Start the entry and start uploading images

  • Post entry, look at map and determining where tomorrow will end

  • Get GPS, maps, and bike ready for tomorrow


So yesterday got me out of that routine and it was a nice time. Although doing laundry as soon as I got in was a bit of a bummer, but hey, all my clothes are clean and no more washing them in a sink!

Alright, let me rewind back a little bit. So Fort Bragg was a downer. That stupid meal (very expensive for what it was & the poor service) and then there was the room. It had this odd dial on the wall to set temperature. Well, it was cool in the room so I turned it to the "Comfort Zone" setting. Little did I know that meant roast you out of bed at 5 in the morning. Strike 2.

After about a half hour of having the window open (trying to cool the room in vain) I only got another 15 minutes of sleep. I had had enough and got out of bed and figured it was time to get the hell out of Dodge. The shower head had my number though. I cracked my eyebrow off of it (yes, it was made for midgets) as I went to rinse my face and I cracked the back of my head off it (short term memory problem) when I went to rinse my hair. Strike 3, we're outta here!

I could not stand another minute in this town I HAD to get out. After a quick breakfast at McDonald's (pancakes and sausage!) I hit the road outta there. This time the weather was MUCH nicer. There was sun, blue sky, and ocean that you could see!




I rolled along for about a half hour and started climbing inland over toward route 101. Any animosity I had leftover towards Fort Bragg immediately disappeared as I whipped up over these hills. Some readers may have heard of The Dragon's Tail, but I'm sure it has nothing on this stretch of road. It was 22 miles of quick succession s-turns rolling up and down the terrain and all perfectly banked.


I stole a glance to my right as I was going around one of the turns (no guardrails to be found anywhere) and I saw that it was a long way down. I chuckled and promptly grabbed a fist full of throttle and sling shotted myself around the turn. I'd be lying if I said I didn't let out a "yee haw" afterwards. The funk of Fort Bragg was gone.

Eventually got over to the 101 and headed north. Redwoods were becoming much more obvious now. The 101 wasn't the most exciting but it was the road I needed to be on. That is until I saw a sign for the Avenue of the Giants, Scenic Bypass. Yes, sign me up!

I hopped on there and was a bit disappointed at first. Where the heck are the "giants?!" Patience paid off and they came in full force. The last time I had seen these things were when I was 9. Even then I didn't really get a good look at them because it was raining something terrible the day we traveled through them. But here I was now on a beautiful day and coasting through them on two wheels.




It was a belittling experience being beneath these gigantic trees. I thought the Sequoia's in Yosemite were impressive, but the Redwoods were the victors. The road meandered through them every which way. At times it felt like the speeder bike scene from Star Wars, although not quite as fast. Oh yeah, good thing from Wednesday morning, I got my camcorder working again. So I got all the ride through this area on tape (although I'm out of tape now).

(I guess they're not very big after all)

The road kept rolling along through the various groves of trees. I knew I had a long way to the end of the day, but I didn't want to get away from this road. It was too much fun. Eventually it came to end with a big fat "Road Closed". I'm pretty sure I would've rode it all the way to Eureka.

So I got back on 101 and fought some terrible head winds. They were very reminiscent of that day back in Colorado. One of those nice clobbering winds. Once the road winded inland again the wind disappeared (somewhat) and the temps dropped and the thermostat on the heated jacket got cracked up.

As the 101 weaved it's way north, the coast and the road changed. Gone are the tight dizzying turns to large sweepers and the high cliffs are above you as you ride along the shores.




Oh yeah, I made it into the Pacific Ocean (or it came and got me).


So I arrived in Gold Beach to a lovely little place. It felt like your grandparents living room. Dated furniture and decor but very clean and tidy. The proprietors were friendly and accommodating. First things first...laundry and grocery shopping were on tap. Finally, all my clothes were clean and I was stocked up with food for the breaks now. All good, now I wanted to do some maintenance items on the bike and since my room was practically on the beach, get some sunset shots.





Nothing spectacular since a large cloud system was moving in. Bummer. But that was it for the night. Decided real quick on where I needed to get to (today) and hit the sack. Instead of waking up roasting, I woke up chilled (since I left the windows open to hear the ocean). Dang it. All said, no funk feeling leaving Gold Beach. Good town and good folks there.

As I was loading up this morning I had a brief conversation with a couple who were curious if I had rode from PA. Like most, people are amazed that I've ridden from PA to here all by myself. Lots of good wishes and kind words from them and a I got ready to depart.

You know, a few weeks ago before leaving, I was wondering if I could do it. It's weird and I know I've said this several times before already, but sometimes you just forget where you are. There are days when it looks no different to me than back home and I'm thinking "oh I'm just over here in this county, I'll be home before 5." I'm weeks from being home, but it's weird how the sense of distance and time go right out the window.

So that brings us up to today. Got rolling towards Portland, OR this morning. After 25 miles, the rain came. It was off and on all day long then. So no pictures, very few stops and not too much to see. It was basically a traveling day.

Right now the plan is to be in Jackson, Wyoming by Sunday for a down-day/fun-day on Monday (Yellowstone/Grand Teton). That'll put about 11 days of straight riding under my belt by then. Whew that's a lot of riding. I figure in another day or two the bike will roll over 22,000 miles considering I left with 16,000 some miles. Rack 'em up!

Alright, here is yesterday's pics

No comments: