Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Head In the Clouds

Another milestone to be accomplished here today, the Golden Gate Bridge. An icon of America and a landmark known to a lot of people around the world. I was looking forward to seeing this up close and personal. However...

So I took my time getting ready this morning since I was trying to let morning rush hour traffic subside and had an easy start. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have waited that long. However, I did run into a girl while I was loading my bike up in the morning from Greensburg, PA. What a small world.

My route in the morning was a spectacular one. It wound up through some Redwood trees and twisted along the hills just south of San Francisco.

As you can see, these shots didn't really come out, but they do convey a cool sense of movement. Just don't look at them too big, otherwise they look really awful.


But this road kept climbing and climbing and I started noticing I was getting into the lower level of clouds coming in off the ocean. Now these clouds were loaded with moisture from the water and in certain instances, it was like riding through rain. At first it was amusing but eventually became just a little annoying.

I dropped down out of the mountains to Highway 1 again near Half Moon Bay (insert your own witty joke) and there was a thick cloud cover and was running through that all the way to San Francisco. Luckily the road I was traveling wasn't very busy because visibility was really awful. I knew at this point I was not seeing any part of the Golden Gate today.

Picked my way through San Francisco over to the Golden Gate area. The whole time I was riding along I kept thinking "Man, I'm riding MY bike through San Francisco." I was a little bit amazed by that, but quickly turned my attention back to navigating.

Found my turns and ended up right where I wanted to be. Unfortunately, I couldn't see what I had wanted to see.


Behold the Golden Gate Bridge in all her glory! Oh wait...


Can you make out the base of the one of the towers? It's there, I promise.

So after feeling a little disappointed (driving 4,450 miles) not seeing the bridge, it was time to get moving on north. Wouldn't you know within less than a mile of crossing the bridge, the sun comes shining through. I look behind me and yup, bridge still covered up.

This side of Highway 1 was a lot different than yesterdays version. Tighter turns, greater elevation changes. However, the views were all obscured by clouds. It was a tough day for pictures.


I did however get some good video footage of the tighter stuff. Can't wait to check that out. But I think some of the high moisture content has had a bad effect on the ol' JVC camcorder. It seems I can't record anymore, but we'll see if that clears up.

As I got closer here to Fort Bragg, the coast started taking on a different look altogether. Plus it took a long time to get here as well. It would take about 10-15 minutes to go five miles just because of the road. It was not a day for making time and unfortunately, there wasn't much to look at since the fog hid everything.


Got into town here around 5 and was wiped out (I'm barely conscious writing this). I stopped over at the restaurant part of the motel and was sorely disappointed with their service. I sat for at least 15 minutes (maybe more) until someone waited on me. Once I got my meal, I never had any follow up and needed more water however no one ever came by my table. I was in the mood for dessert but was never offered any and instead just got the bill. Went to pay and the cashier was about as friendly and responsive as a shoe. Sorry for paying for my meal you bunch of ingrates. If you're ever in Fort Bragg, don't go to TW's Grille & Bar!

Alright, I'm wiped out.

Today's Pics (very sparse).

No comments: